A SAD, SAD DAY FOR THE SAD REPUBLIC

STATEMENT FROM FORMER ACTING

KWF CHAIR RICARDO MA. DURAN NOLASCO

(October 31, 2008) 

           

Yesterday, October 30, at around 6:06 pm,  I received a faxed copy of an order signed by the President relieving me as acting chair of the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino and appointing someone else as OIC.  The order was dated October 28, 2008.  A few minutes before that, I was able to talk to Secretary Jake Lagonera by mobile phone who confirmed the existence of such a directive from the President.  Upon receipt thereof, I tendered my resignation as acting commissioner representing the Bicol language.  As of today, October 31, I no longer hold any position with the KWF.  I thank the President for allowing me to serve as acting chair for the last two and a half years. But I salute the brave men, women and children who continue to struggle against linguistic and cultural inequities in this country and would like to see the day when our own languages and the languages of wider communication are equally accepted, valued, promoted and protected. 

 

 

(SIGNED)

RICARDO MA. DURAN NOLASCO, Ph.D.

 

No comments: